Saturday, September 19, 2009

Trip to Aunt Ordella's in Sparta, Wisconsin

I met up with my brother in Minneapolis, Minnesota for a trip down to Wisconsin to meet and visit with my Great Aunt Ordella (my grandpa's sister). The first place he took me was to the Mall of America, which he is pointing at, and it was Enormous!!!
When I got off the plane in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Greg took me to the Mall of America. Right in the middle of the mall is this huge amusement park. It also has four levels with 520 stores!
We entered Wisconsin just on the other side of the Mississippi River from Minnesota
Me, Ordella and Greg at her apartment in Sparta
Ordella in front of her old house in Sparta, WI
Greg, me, Aunt Ordella and her son, Kim
Me and Great Aunt Ordella (my grandfather's only living sibling (she'll be 94 in two weeks) I interviewed her about her life, and we had such a great time together, like we had known each other all of our lives!
We stayed two nights in LaCrosse, Wisconsin and we were right on the Mississippi River.
Greg's biggest thrill on this trip was to go to the Spam Museum....it was quite the place!
This is me at the Spam museum in Austin, MN:)
Found my great-grandparents' graves in Faribault, MN
Greg and I ate at the old train station/restaurant in Faribault, MN where my Grandpa grew up.
Found the park that was made where my grandfather grew up and worked at the mill that used to be there.
Greg and I found the mill pond where the King Mill was where our great-grandparents and grandfather lived and worked.
Gold Medal flour plant in Minneapolis, Minnesota (Gerg in foreground:)
My brother Greg and I at the airport before we went our separate ways.
Did a puzzle in the Denver airport on my five hour layover:) Thanks for the puzzle Aunt Ordella!

1 comment:

Tenille Gates said...

she even gave you a puzzle...she MUST be family ;0) It looks like you had fun in Wisconsin. Its very green and pretty there! And you had some entertainment while you were there (greg) ;0) Auntie seemed like a very sweet old lady and im glad you got to meet her. Its cool that you found that grave too. I love you mom and am glad you had a good time! I cant wait to see youguys!! ;0)